Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Is it possible to retire from the military as an enlisted person and not work afterwards?

I asked this once before but would like some more insights. Can you realistically enlist for 20+ years in the military and plan on retiring afterwards? Has anyone done this?



I am only an E-3 now but would like to someday live the "good life".Is it possible to retire from the military as an enlisted person and not work afterwards?Not if you are married.



(The day after I retired my wife was asking me when I was going to find a job.)Is it possible to retire from the military as an enlisted person and not work afterwards?
Yes it would be possible if you had income from another source. I retired after 20 yrs but I still need to work but I am young enough to work and the pension helps a lot I retired a E6Is it possible to retire from the military as an enlisted person and not work afterwards?Yes.



I retired at 20-years as an E-6, in 2001.



I have not needed to get any other job.



If this is your plan you will need to invest a lot while on Active Duty. I bought an apartment building at each duty station. So by the time that I was nearing my retirement I had collected four apartment buildiings.



It would be very hard if you still had to pay a mortgage payment, which is why I am saying that you need to invest and build a portfolio while you are earning the big-bucks of Active Duty.



After I retired I sold 3 of our properties and used the money to buy 150 acres of farmland. So now we live on a farm with no mortgage.



Anyone can do this.Is it possible to retire from the military as an enlisted person and not work afterwards?
If you want to live on 35% of your income, you can.



While retirement pay is 50% of high three year base pay



A little less if your married and choose SBP, so you wife can draw 55% of your retirement pay when you die.



You will lose your housing allowance and substance allowance.



So that's another $1,300 to $1.600 a month your gonna have to cover on your own.



So if you saved, bought and paid for a home somewhere while on active duty,



its possible to only use your retirement income to live on.



But it wouldn't be the " good life "



You wouldn't have enough money to travel, etc.



Plus, you would only be 38 yrs old. why would you wanna just do nothing ?



So in a nut shell, not really, you will need other income.Is it possible to retire from the military as an enlisted person and not work afterwards?Most folks I know have gone on and had a second career of some sort or another. Not always a high pay or a high pressure job, but something to be productive.



A retired Chief that hubby worked under - he worked for the railroad for 2 years to earn enough to pay off his mortgage and was then just going to live on his retirement pay. That lasted another 4 months and he was going stir crazy! So... he got a "fun" job.



Hubby plans on being able to open his own woodworking/custom kitchen design business once he retires. Again, his business on his schedule. But, something he will enjoy and love doing. (Cause if he stays home I'll have to kill him! LOL)



Retired Col. - retired after 30 years. Yes, he could have just stayed home on his retirement pay. But, again, had no desire to! Is now a consultant for the military, working part time.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment