Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What can a philosophy major do in the military?

First and foremost, I am a philosopher and I want to philosophize for the remainder of my life, but I feel that the military can be very useful in nurturing discipline of mind and body, developing leadership qualities, and gaining world experience. What can I do that will fit with my interest in philosophy?What can a philosophy major do in the military?Kill, then morally justify it to yourself.What can a philosophy major do in the military?
If you go to college first, you can become an officer and get treated like freaking gold. It doesn't really matter that you're a philosophy major. You can have a cosmetology degree, become an officer and tell infantry how to do their jobs.



Of course you know that the military will pay for your college, and you CAN do it while you're in, but it's a lot of work, but I guess that depends on your MOS. Or just use your GI bill when you get out.



But if you're only looking into the military to "nurture" your philosophical studies, you're looking in the wrong place.What can a philosophy major do in the military?The officer corps has MOS (military occupational specialties) that are not unlike those I have as an enlisted man. Many of the guys that came from ROTC or the Military academies come from a wide background of majors, but much like their civilian counterparts, they often do not go into a field that reflects their education.



A list of the various occupations in the army can be found here:

http://www.goarmy.com/JobSearchPre.doWhat can a philosophy major do in the military?
Military intelligence. I served in that branch in the Army, and it is actually surprisingly full of philosophy majors. Your brain will get used and abused, but I don't know if you will necessarily be doing a lot philosophizing.What can a philosophy major do in the military?dig ditches, you will have lots of time to philosophize.

No comments:

Post a Comment